On a beautiful sunny autumn morning, the 56 members enthusiastically boarded the Coach for their annual Mystery trip, organized by Secretary Richard Bayley.
Travelling past two of the most famous vineyards in Hawke’s Bay, Mission Estate Winery and Church Road Winery, in her commentary President Paddy Bayley informed members the Mission Estate Winery has the distinction of being the birthplace of New Zealand wine. New Zealand’s first recorded commercial sale of wine was in 1870. Taradale, is an area rich in wine heritage dating back as far as the 1850s.
On to Westshore for a scenic drive, members enjoyed pristine views of Napier Harbour and Port. A brief stop was then made along Hardinge Road Ahuriri, for members to take a short walk along the Ahuriri walkway to our NZ Founders Hawke’s Bay Branch 40th Anniversary Historic Information Post.
Unveiled on Sunday 6th October, 2019 to celebrate the 40th Anniversary of Hawke’s Bay Branch, it acknowledged the arrival of early settlers to all New Zealand Ports prior to 31 December 1865. Also those hardy immigrants who travelled overland to settle in Hawke's Bay. “Rangoon”, 374 tons, was the first immigrant ship direct from London on 23 July 1864, followed by the “Strathallan”, 550 tons on 24 November 1864 and 17 December 1865.
When travelling along Marine Parade, members were asked to take note of the two pohutukawa in front of the Masonic Hotel. Planted in 1894, they have survived two fires, an earthquake and the possible axe in 1935.
Prior to lunch at the Napier R.S.A, President Paddy presented seven members with their NZ Founders Membership Certificates. After lunch, travelling through the township of Clive, it was still a mystery to members as to where the final stop for the afternoon would be. Clive was originally established as a trading post in 1850. Since 1872, Hawke's Bay Rowing Club, hold a Rowing Regatta on the Clive River during the first weekend of each year.
Venturing into the countryside, the final mystery was solved when the coach stopped at Exmoor Museum - a private historic house – home to an extensive private collection not only of films, hundreds of cameras, medical and dental equipment, but also vintage cars from bygone years. Owner Colin Trevelyan, is a “Friend of Hawke’s Bay Founders Branch”. He has beautifully displayed and documented an accumulation of photographic memorabilia filling all seven rooms of the old homestead plus the dining room, lounge and passageways with everything from 1800s era full-plate tripod box cameras to ‘affordable’ Box Brownies, Instamatic's, Polaroid’s and hybrid cameras that can capture digital and film. A film titled “A Train for Christmas (1975) featuring the “Kingston Flyer” was shown on an authentic “movie reel projector”. In 1971 New Zealand Railways re-introduced two 'Ab' class4-6-2 locomotives of the 1920's to haul this vintage tourist train in Southland.
Following tours of the facility and out-buildings, members enjoyed reminiscing about the “early days” over afternoon tea before boarding the coach for home.
Photo 1 Branch President Paddy Bayley with Nimmon’s Coach Driver Jan Bartlett
beside Information Post
Photo 2 Members enjoying beautiful views by Information Post
Photo 3 New members with President Paddy Bayley:
Back row (L-R) Kevin Rose, Lance Williams, Margaret Williams, Lesley Parris
Front Row (L-R) Jillian Rose, Maree Stanton, Janet Chapman, Paddy Bayley
Photo 4 Members at lunch, Napier RSA
Photo 5 Very small section of cameras at the Museum.
Photo 6 Judith Yule & Barbara Smith discussing the merits of a “bygone era”